On this version of the JConcepts Friday5 we speak to Australian staff driver, Ray Munday!
1. While you first acquired into RC racing, what professional driver did you look as much as and why? Or perhaps there was a neighborhood/regional driver that you just adopted?
I first began racing in 1990. Internationally it was Masami and Cliff Lett who I idolized. Masami was the last word skilled driver, in a position to win at all the pieces with wonderful talent. Cliff was the best man round and was forward of his time with setup and car prep. I used to be lucky sufficient to satisfy them each a couple of years in the past which was superior!
2. In your area you do fairly a little bit of racing on outdoors off-road grime surfaces. It looks like at this time’s automobile designs and extra geared in the direction of indoor grime or carpet/turf surfaces. Why do you suppose that is and the way have you ever adjusted to the present automobiles to remain aggressive on these out of doors tracks?
In Australia we’ve got largely out of doors tracks as there’s quite a lot of parkland nonetheless buildings are very costly to rent. Within the USA and Europe it’s way more frequent to race 1/10 inside to keep away from the climate and indoor tracks have developed to create greater traction surfaces. Tyre expertise has additionally improved so we’re in a position to get greater traction on nearly each floor together with outdoor. The automobile design has needed to evolve to maintain up with the tracks. It’s been a enjoyable problem to tune the newest designs to the decrease traction out of doors surfaces. Initially there was quite a lot of skepticism about mid motor however now just about each car down right here is mid motor and we’ve got discovered that they’re sooner even in decrease grip. We now have needed to tune issues reminiscent of rear toe in, arm sweep and typically including some brass elements to the rear along with operating greater down-force packages and tuning the geometry to match greater experience heights, however the trendy designs have such an enormous tuning vary as soon as we labored these items out the automobiles are incredible to drive. The setups used on the Slovakia IFMAR world’s in 2019 have been similar to what we use week in week out!
3. What’s your greatest win thus far and why?
My greatest outcome was inserting twenty fifth on the 2017 IFMAR world’s in China. The monitor was very difficult and I felt I drove to the very best of my means. I’ve received 2 nationwide titles (Mod 2wd Buggy in 2008 and Mod 4WD Buggy in 2018) and 4 Keilor invitationals.
4. Title one JConcepts product that you just really feel is neglected by many however you discover it very helpful. It might be a software, tread sample, wing, and so on.
5. In addition to RC automobiles, what different hobbies are you into?
My work retains me very busy so I don’t have quite a lot of free time, however I’m a giant fan of any full-size Motorsport and I’m additionally a giant fan of something Star Wars associated. 🙂
2nd picture courtesy of Mozzed Photography.