On this version of the JConcepts Friday5 we speak to Kansas staff driver, Ken Peterson!
1. While you first received into RC racing, what professional driver did you look as much as and why? Or possibly there was an area/regional driver that you just adopted?
Gil Losi Jr. arms down. Gil and his dad “Pops” had been at all times a category act on the monitor and Gil Jr. helped me tune my automobiles at quite a few nationwide occasions once I was on the staff again within the late 80’s. I grew up in my dad’s machine store making RC automotive components on the milling machine and lathe, so I used to be at all times impressed by Gil Jr. creating and racing his personal automotive. I keep in mind watching him on the Ranch Pit Store for the 1986 ROAR Nationals debut of what would finally develop into the JRX2. Lastly, when he raced his arms shook identical to mine did, but his traces had been at all times tremendous clean!
2. On many indoor grime off-road tracks it looks as if the new ticket is to run slicks. Do you like barely treaded tires or slicks? And why do you assume issues have moved this manner?
I want treads, however so long as the racing shouldn’t be twitchy, or inconsistent, I don’t thoughts operating slicks. The place I race at HP Hobbies in Hutchinson, KS it’s most frequently slicks, nevertheless it’s often a constant really feel behind the wheel. I feel it has moved towards slicks on account of a number of improvements of clay compound tires. At my residence monitor the grime and monitor prep has been the identical for 15 years, however as soon as clay compounds hit, we began ticking off quicker lap instances on much less and fewer tread. Guys wish to go quick and if you will get them to work, slicks are at all times quicker.
3. If in case you have been racing for some time now you will have in all probability glued up 100s of tires. So what gluing ideas do you will have for starting racers?
I want a thicker viscosity glue in order that it doesn’t run uncontrolled. A key mistake guys make shouldn’t be getting glue between the slot of the rim and the underside of the tire bead. The JConcepts glue bottle tips are an excellent device to make sure you get the glue positioned proper the place you need it when you find yourself pulling again the bead of the tire. If you happen to solely get glue on the outer bead of the tire and rim, underneath acceleration the tire will increase extra and ship an inconsistent really feel on the monitor.
4. In relation to new merchandise launched from JConcepts, what are you most excited to see and why? Is it a brand new physique, new tire, new accent, and many others.?
Tires! I’m amazed on the innovation and growth that goes into every new era of tire and the way the newer tread sample / carcass separates so clearly from the final. When Bar Codes got here out, pin tires had been primarily retired. Dirt Webs made Bar Codes out of date, and nearly as good as they had been, the Ellipse shortly eclipsed the Dirt Webs. I’m curious and excited to see what tire innovation will emerge from the JConcepts manufacturing unit subsequent.
5. Identify one factor folks may be shocked to learn about you.
I was an Anchor/Reporter in TV information. That’s one of many causes I get pleasure from saying races and utilizing my pictures and enhancing expertise to create promotional movies for tracks and races. Our sport is essentially hidden inside previous rundown buildings situated in decrease hire areas with little or no public foot site visitors, so something to extend publicity is sweet for rising the game!